Wednesday, August 30, 2017

I'VE HAD TO CANCEL MY DRAGON CON APPEARANCE...


Sadly, I will be unable to attend this year's Dragon Con festivities.

I have been looking forward to Dragon Con in Atlanta, Georgia this Labor Day weekend. Dragon Con is one of my absolute favorite times of the year and I have been the past 27 years. This would be my 28th Dragon Con. This convention, and the people who attend, mean a great deal to me. I have met and gotten to know so many awesome people through this convention that are very special to me. This is my geek family and I will miss seeing each and every one of them. I am listed as being set up at Table 1G in the Comics and Pop Art Track located in the America's Mart #2 building, 3rd floor, but that table will be occupied by another creator this weekend in my place.

I have not publicly talked about this out of respect for her wishes, but my mother has been battling cancer for the past 3 years. The battle has not gone well and sadly, we are nearing the final round. As you can imagine, this has taken something of a toll on me and my family. We are emotionally bruised and battered and physically exhausted, but we are holding together for one another. We originally believed that I could still take the 5 days that I would be gone for Dragon Con without worry, but recent events have made it clear I cannot so I have to cancel my appearance at Dragon Con and stay with the family to help take care of my mother and father, who is also not doing well with the knee that is going to be replaced soon.

For those who know my parents, we ask that you not inundate them with phone calls. Please, respect their request for privacy and just leave them be. Thanks.

I may stop by the con one day, if I can get away for a few hours so I can say hello to friends and soak up a little bit of that Dragon Con creative energy that I could use in large doses right now. We'll see how it goes.

A big thanks to Thom, Regina, Ben, the track directors, and the staff of Dragon Con, who I spoke with earlier today. I hope you all have a tremendous weekend and a stellar good time. To my friends, I'm sorry I'll miss you. Have a great time and share a lot of photos so I can be there vicariously through social media. To my fans (that's still strange to type) and those looking to see me or pick up some books, I'm sorry I will miss you as well. Hopefully, we'll meet up at another con soon.

Thanks for understanding.

Bobby


No comments: